Do you ever just have one of those days when everything in your house is bothering you, meaning the random little piles of paper and clutter just drive you crazy! We are pretty organized people, my husband especially, but I never realized how much random stuff I didn’t need till I cleaned out every square inch of our house. And gosh darn let me tell you, it was the most freeing experience!
I have this rule that if I haven’t looked at it or used it within the past 6 months to a year, it goes bye bye! So turn up the T-Swift tunes, say good bye to that random clutter that accumulates, then buy yourself some pretty blooms to celebrate!
Ok enough about cleaning, let’s talk about breakfast! We are all human and yes, I may have had one too many slices of gingerbread cake over Christmas, so I am trying my best to eat squeaky clean starting this new year off! And I absolutely adore breakfast, so I came up with these oh so simple, baked eggs. The best part is when you take the first bite this amazing combination of golden yolks and green pesto comes spilling out. Yes, it is magical!
You can double or triple this recipe and keep extras in the fridge for a quick breakfast or snack! And great thing is if you are doing a Whole 30 or 21 day sugar detox, just eliminate the cheese and you are off to the races!
Be sure to check out my post “10 tips for making a healthy, sustainable lifestyle” because I truly want you to be great this new year! Also, don’t forget about the Best of Paleo eBook featuring over 192 recipes from the top paleo bloggers, including me! It is a fabulous and beautiful resource to make your new year super tasty!
Baked Green Eggs and Ham
makes 4 individual egg cups
- 4 slices ham*
- 2 handfuls fresh spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup dairy-free fresh basil pesto
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup raw cheddar cheese, shredded (omit for dairy-free/Paleo**
- salt and pepper, to garnish
- *I recommend Applegate brand or a ham fresh sliced from the deli.
**If omitting the cheese, drizzle a bit of olive oil over the tops of the eggs to keep them moist while baking.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and adjust the oven rack to the middle position.
- Place 1 slice of ham in each individual ramekin or cocotte (if you don’t have this you can also use a muffin tin, just adjust the baking time as needed). Add a few spinach leaves to each dish and press the leaves down to the bottom. Add 1 tablespoon of pesto to each dish. Crack an egg on top. Top with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until your whites are set and yolks are slightly runny. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve!