If I was a food, I think I might be a pizza. You can ask my husband, that totally is a true statement!
My little dream of a cookbook turned ONE last week (& I shared this Cider Mill Donut Hole recipe, so go make those!). One of my personal favorite recipes in my cookbook is the chicken pot pie! Never in a million years would I think I would love a chicken pot pie so much, since I generally don’t like that style of foods, but it is now ultimate comfort food to me.
Since I love pizza so much, I thought hey, why not make a pizza pot pie soup, I don’t think that really is even a legit thing, but I made it legit, so there! No rules, just right 😉
I am not going to lie to you all, I am not a big broth or soup maker, yes, even the nutritionist in me can admit that. But, it truly is so nutritious and I really notice a difference when I have a cup consistently!
With the fall and winter approaching and the weather turning colder, I thought why not combine my favorite food like pizza with super nutritious bone broth! Thankfully, Bone & Co had just sent me some of their broth—which I loved! Beef broth is always too intense for me, but their flavor was just perfect plus, I LOVE the super easy to use packaging it comes in—for those of you like me who spill everything, you will love it too!
Go check out Bone & Co’s delicious bone broths in these easy to use containers. I will pull out a package in the morning or even the night before and allow it to defrost. Bone broth is a superfood, especially with cold and flu season upon us, so sneaking it into this soup will make you and your little ones healthy, and happy!
As a special for enter the code “ColorfulEats10%OFF” at checkout to save 10%!
Thank you Bone & Co for sponsoring this post!
Grain and Gluten Free Pepperoni Pizza Pot Pie Soup
serves 6 people
- 1 lbs spicy or mild Italian sausage
- 1/2 large white onion, minced
- 8 cremni mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp Celtic sea salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 15oz can good quality/sugar free pizza sauce
- 24 oz Bone & Co Chicken Broth
- 4 oz pepperoni, sliced in halves/quarters
- 8 oz ricotta cheese
- 8 oz full-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 batch Grain-Free Butter Biscuits, dough form
- First prepare your biscuit dough (you want to do this right as you start cooking so that the biscuits still rise).
- Warm the oven to 375 degrees F and position the rack on the bottom of the oven. Warm a large dutch oven or cast iron soup pan on the stove to medium heat.
- Squeeze the sausage out of their casings and sear and crumble the sausage into small pieces in the pan. Use a slotted spoon to remove the cooked sausage crumbles and set aside so that the grease remains in the pan. Reduce the pan’s heat to medium-low.
- Add the onions, mushrooms, sea salt and dried oregano and sauté for 5-10 minutes or until slightly soft. Stir in the sausage crumbles, pizza sauce, chicken broth and pepperoni. Use a spoon to drop dollops of ricotta cheese on the top. Add half of the mozzarella cheese on top.
- Form the biscuits with your hands according to the instructions and place on top of the pizza soup like you would a pot pie. Keep in mind you may have 1 or 2 extra biscuits which you can bake on a baking sheet alone. Top with the remainingmozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
- (If you cannot tolerate the cheese, simply omit, bake for 10 minutes, cover with foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes.)