This recipe title is a mouthful—let’s just refer to it as the pizza with all my favorite toppings pilled on top or the pizza that you won’t want to stop eating. Yes, yes!
Speaking of foodie goodness that we can’t stop eating in our house—these chipotle grilled chicken thighs. Oh my, so so good. I think my husband and I ate these for a week straight in every shape and form. Yes, we even ate them for breakfast one day. Gosh darn, grilled chicken is just too good to be true.
So, then to make it even more epic, we added these juicy, slightly spicy, perfectly smoky chicken chunks to pizza.
Then grilled the pizza.
Mouth watering yet?
It’s no secret that my husband and I love to cook together. It’s often what we do on the weekend to relax—ok, let’s be real, I really sit there with my margarita and Bon Appetite magazine and he watches the smoker intently. I often joke that my husband is a better chef than me and when it comes to the grill and smoker, I don’t even know what he does, but it ends up simply magical!
For this recipe, we used the thin crusted pizza dough from my cookbook as well as the BBQ sauce, which if you haven’t made my BBQ sauce yet (just perfectly sweetened), you really are missing out! You can find those recipes in my cookbook, All American Paleo Table.
If you don’t have my cookbook you could use your favorite grain-free crust recipe as well 😉
We decided to use the grill to make the pizza to keep the heat out of our kitchen and I loved the extra smoky flavor that brought to this meal!
Grain Free Grilled Chipotle Chicken, Bacon, Avocado Pizza
- 1 grain-free thin crust pizza recipe, uncooked (recipe from my cookbook, page 186)
- 1 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground chipotle powder
- 1/4 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce (recipe from my cookbook, page 118)
- 6 oz mozzarella cheese, grated
- 4 sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
- handful of chives or green onions
- Prepare your pizza crust and divide into two, shaping into two pizza crusts. Place on a large sheet of parchment paper and set aside.
- Warm your grill to medium-high heat.
- Stir together your salt, chipotle powder and black pepper. Season all sides of the chicken. Grill/sear chicken medium high heat for 2 minutes per side. Flip and continue for an additional 2 minutes. Adjust the time up or down based of the heat of your fire and thickness of the chicken. Set aside for 10 minutes before chopping into thick chunks.
- Spoon the BBQ sauce onto the pizza crusts, spreading evenly apart.
- Layer the pizza with chicken, bacon and mozzarella cheese, keeping in mind you will not use all the chicken (leftovers are great)!
- Cook pizza, still on the parchment paper, for 15-20 minutes (medium high heat) rotating every 5 minutes so that the pizza is evenly cooked in relation to the fire. You want your cheese melted and bubbly.
- Garnish with avocado and green onions. Slice and enjoy!