There is a funny joke around my parents house, that whenever we come home or any of my friends stop by, my mom, Kimberly, will feed you a feast of a breakfast. She will try to make you grain-free banana pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausage, bone broth and berries and whipped cream. Really Mom and Dad, you should open a bed and breakfast!
Growing up, my mom used to make a big pot of oatmeal for weekday mornings. If there was one thing I remember about high-school days, or any day at home—let’s be real, she still makes me breakfast when I come home—it’s that we were never allowed to leave the house without a big breakfast.
And that totally has carried over to me, because I never ever miss breakfast!
In college, I used to make those oatmeal packets for early mornings—totally not healthy, so please no one go do this. 😉 People always say oatmeal sticks to you, yeah I don’t get that. I usually am starving within an hour. Sadly regular oatmeal is usually just a bunch of processed carbs and sugars, not my mom’s butter and cream filled oatmeal…or this amazing, protein-filled and delicious grain-free oatmeal!
With fall and cooler weather approaching, I thought this would be the perfect time to test out a oatmeal recipe (or n’oatmeal) for you all—free of grains, gluten and refined sugars! I tested this a few times and honestly couldn’t stop eating it—so, so good!
Plus, it actually tasted and felt like oatmeal to me, even that awesome gooey, creamy oatmeal like texture!
Just a few notes—
- I made it entirely without any added sweeter, like the raw honey. I preferred it that way as well as topped with a spoonful of blackberry jam.
- I liked the texture best when I warmed it with a bit of water to make it less thick!
- Keep in mind that collagen peptides are much different than gelatin, but the collagen gives this a boost of extra protein! The two act very differently and you cannot use gelatin in this recipe.
Grain-Free & Paleo Spiced Overnight N’Oatmeal
makes 6 servings
- 1 cup raw pecans
- 1 cup raw cashew pieces
- 1 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup ground golden flaxseed
- 1/2 cup grass-fed collagen peptides
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 0-2 tbsp raw honey*
- 1 cup heavy cream or coconut cream
- 2 cups filtered water (adjust or add more as needed)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup blackberry jam,** as a topping
*Adjust amount of honey based off desired sweetness. I found the n’oatmeal sweet enough with just the blackberry jam topping.
**Recipe in my cookbook, All American Paleo Table
- Add all dry ingredients (nuts, coconut, flaxseed, collagen and spices) to the bowl of a food processor and pulse to a slightly chunky flour like consistency. Add in the honey, cream, water, and vanilla extract, and blend until thick and mostly smooth.
- Transfer to individual sized jars (these glass Weck jars are my favorite and the perfect size for one serving) or one large container.
- Chill for a minimum of 6 hours or overnight.
- In a small pan, warm desired amount with butter and more water if too thick.
- Serve topped with blackberry jam, a splash of cream or maple syrup if desired!
- Store remaining n’oatmeal jars in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.