My husband is home from patrol and we have finally been organizing and decorating our house! This is by far our favorite house we have lived in so far and I am so thankful for a beautiful, happy place to call home. I also am realizing I am not so good at the decorating part, I mean I know what I like but I don’t know exactly how to get there! Now I totally realize why interior decorators are a thing because oh do I need one. Since we move a lot there are always a few things that just don’t fit in our new location, so we are using most of everything we already have, adding a few new items here and there. Military wives, you all totally can relate to my problem of having lots of curtains but never curtains that fit exactly right in your new home!
Anyways, with the hubby home, the smoker has been running non-stop and he has been requesting baked goods and desserts, which makes me happy to make him healthy versions! The husband has been requesting my Morning Butter Biscuits for breakfast and this Chocolate Chip Brownie Cheesecake for dessert. We cooked up a storm this weekend, smoking an entire brisket and having friends over to share! Thank goodness there were leftovers because smoked brisket may just be the best!
These savory gluten free and grain free sun dried tomato and basil scones are inspired by my Morning Butter Biscuits, which will forever be my favorite baked good. They always turn out perfect and are so easy to make! I have been loving savory baked goods recently, mostly because I have been eating a lot of charcuterie as the prosciutto, sheep’s cheeses and home cured sausage is plentiful here in Spain. These scones were inspired by my favorite grain-free crackers and are perfect to accompany your morning eggs or charcuterie platter.
With Easter approaching, I thought these would be the perfect savory addition to your Easter brunch. Serve with your favorite egg dish or just with scrambled eggs and bacon. I love the addition of pesto if you are serving these with charcuterie, but with eggs, I think just a good dollop of butter would be delicious!
Grain-Free Sun Dried Tomato and Basil Scones
- 3 cups raw cashew pieces
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp grass-fed gelatin
- pinch of sea salt
- 6 tbsp butter or ghee
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- pinch of sea salt flakes for garnish
- pesto for serving
- Warm your oven to 350 degrees F and arrange the baking rack to the lowest possible position. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Prepare a second large piece of parchment paper and set aside.
- Add all the dry ingredients to the bowl of a food processor and pulse to a flour like consistency.
- Add in the butter, egg and apple cider vinegar and mix until a ball of dough starts to form. Use a spatula to mix in the sun dried tomatoes and fresh basil.
- Add the dough to the second piece of parchment paper and use your hands to shape into a flat round circle about 1 inch high.
- Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to harden a bit, otherwise the dough will be too sticky to cut.
- Cut into 8 scone like wedges and place on the baking sheet. Garnish with sea salt flakes.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, watching closely at the end so the scones do not burn.