With cookbook writing and photographing coming to a close, yes there is still so much more work to be done, but I have been feeling so inspired lately! I absolutely loved every minute of working on my book All American Paleo Table and am completely beyond proud of it (oh my thats a lot of adjectives but really I am so excited to share it with you all this October—be sure to pre-order it)! But, I am the person whose creativity is constantly flowing and writing a cookbook means sticking to a very strict table of contents and timeline, so I have lists full of new ideas now to make for the blog!
But first, I have been attempting to take a break and really let myself relax, which is so hard for me. So that means eating up mountains of cookbook tester leftovers and also lots of eggs—my all time favorite comfort food! Lets be honest, I really just don’t want to clean any more dishes for a long time! I could eat eggs for any meal and the toppings and flavorings are endless. My favorite way is skillet fried eggs topped with heaps of parmesan, yes because I love cheese! (You can see that recipe suggestion on my Instagram).
I was chatting with a sweet 9 year old girl this week who was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, like myself. Her story and resilient spirit really touched my heart and she asked my my favorite and least favorite part of having diabetes. Well, my least favorite part is pizza commercials—ugg they make me so mad because I just want to reach through the screen and eat the pizza, really the only time I am ever tempted not to eat grain free! And my favorite part of having diabetes, is that it has given me so many passions and interests in life. I never would have dreamed of writing a cookbook or loving food photography, all results of my diagnosis! So today I am thankful for having this disease!
Now onto this amazing Paleo pepperoni crusted pizza baked eggs—pizza made grain and gluten free without having to make a crust or clean up a million dishes! It is so simple, tasty and full of healthy ingredients that you will want to eat this on repeat! I absolutely love Applegate’s pepperoni, which I actually buy at Target. I love eating it as a snack or when craving something salty! This recipe is a great way to use up any pizza making ingredient leftovers and you could even triple the recipe in a big skillet depending on the amount of people you are serving.
Grain Free Pepperoni Crusted Pizza Baked Egg Skillets
- 6 pepperoni slices* (I recommend using Applegate brand)
- 2 tbsp pizza sauce
- 1/4 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded (omit for dairy free and Paleo)
- 2 eggs
- dried oregano and fresh basil, to garnish
*Applegate’s pepperoni is slightly larger than most, so if you choose not to use this brand you may need to alter the amount to fit in the pan.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. On the stove, warm a personal sized 6 1/2 inch skillet to medium heat.
- Layer your pepperoni slices around the edge of the skillet. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese around the bottom of the pan then the pizza sauce on top, spreading evenly throughout the bottom of the pan.
- Crack the eggs on top. Continue heating just until the whites start to set then use and oven mitt to transfer the skillet to the oven.
- Cook for a couple minutes just until the whites are completely set but the yolks are still runny (mine took 1 1/2- 2 minutes, but watch carefully so it does not become overcooked).
- Garnish with dried oregano and fresh basil.