Toppings just make the meal right?! Often toppings and condiments are full of sugar, so out of the question for me!
Pickled veggies and onions have always been one of my favorite condiments, but sadly they are most often pickled with a lot of sugar. These pickled onions are absolutely delicious and completely gluten-free and sugar-free!
You can seriously add them to anything and everything! My favorite is with these Smoked Brisket Tacos, Chorizo Deviled Eggs, or Potato Skillet Pancake but feel free to add them to spice of your burgers, steak, pizza, or sandwich toppings.
Quick, Sugar-Free Pickled Onions
makes 1 quart
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- Very thinly slice the onions, the thiner the better.
- Add the apple cider vinegar, water, lemon juice, sea salt and peppercorns to a quart sized jar. Tightly screw on the lid and give it a few shakes.
- Add the onions and shake a few more times.
- Use the back of a spoon to press the onions down into the vinegar mixture so that all onions are covered. Add a tablespoon or more of water if needed.
- Set aside for 2 hours before placing in the refrigerator.
- Scoop out onions as needed and strain from the juice. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.