Can we just take a moment to talk about these radishes?! Watermelon radishes to be exact! The word beautiful doesn’t even do these colorful vegetables justice—exquisite, exotic, glamorous come to mind. Yes, I just referred to radishes as glamorous!
Last week a good friend of mine and the amazingly talented photographer who shot the cover photo for my cookbook, All American Paleo Table, invited me over to make dinner. We have two rules when it comes to food—it must be tasty and pretty too! We made pizza and sushi because clearly those go together and this amazing salad with watermelon radishes. She gave me some to take home and I clearly had to spend the next afternoon photographing them.
Also, story time…a few summers back, I lived in France and every afternoon my house Mama would put out a plate of radishes, creamy butter and sea salt. I thought it was the strangest of customs but in France you eat everything you are presented with, so clearly I had to give it a try and oh my I have been obsessed with it ever since! It is the perfect combination of crunchy, peppery, creamy, buttery goodness. If you listened to the podcast this week, you will hear me talk all about these afternoon radish snacks! So be sure to head to your farmer’s market and give those colorful, baby radishes a try!
The flavor profile of this salad with really rock your world, well that is along with the colors and beauty on the plate in front of you. To be honest I am really not a huge salad person just for the sake of eating salad, but when salad is topped with all sorts of goodness, I am all about that type of salad!
Smoky, rich salmon contrasts with sweet & tart blackberries. The sharp, peppery tastes of watermelon radishes pairs beautifully with the creamy, salty taste of feta all mixed with a light, refreshing basil vinaigrette. Yes, it truly is full of every possible flavor and a complete explosion of deliciousness with each bite.
This basil lemon vinaigrette will have you wanting to eat salad all summer long. I chose to use champagne vinegar for something a bit lighter in color to go with the season and used Kassandrinos olive oil, my absolute favorite for taste and nutrition (if you haven’t checked out their olive oils, you should!). Just keep your extra dressing in the refrigerator to use throughout the week.
Smoked Salmon, Watermelon Radish, Blackberry Summer Salad
Basil Lemon Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup olive oil (I recommend Kassandrinos)
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, packed full
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 head baby butter leaf salad
- 1 large watermelon radish (or 1 bunch of small regular radishes)
- 4 oz smoked salmon slices
- 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled (omit for dairy free or whole 30)
- 6 oz fresh blackberries
- Add all of the basil lemon vinaigrette ingredients to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Use a mandolin or sharp knife to slice the radishes as thin as possible.
- Add all of the salad ingredients to a large bowl or platter, layering the lettuce then smoked salmon and topping with feta and blackberries.
- Drizzle on desired amount of dressing, storing the remainder in in the refrigerator.
- Toss and serve.