Bursting with fall flavors and colors, this harvest cobb salad with beets and figs is a healthy dinner option that suites any taste buds.
Truth be told, I often eat the same thing over and over for dinner. Hey I like what I like and as long as it’s healthy and flavorful, then I will stick to my ways. Because my husband is often gone, I typically will make one big meal every few days and portion it out for lunch and dinner. I pick the foods and flavors I love and that way, eating the same meal never gets boring for me.
Well this past month, this harvest cobb salad with sweet beets and figs was on repeat and seriously, it’s delicious! The market here in Spain has had the most marvelous fresh figs and although I do not eat fruit very often, due to having type 1 diabetes, I usually let myself splurge a big in the summertime, when fruit is fresh, local and seasonal. I have been loving slicing one fig up and wrapping it in manchego and prosciutto for an afternoon snack.
Anyways, back to this harvest cobb salad with a tangy cinnamon balsamic vinaigrette that I can’t stop eating! It is still very hot outside, so salad as a meal seems so refreshing at this time of year. I love making fulfilling, meal style salads, rather than a side salad as those are just boring. This is a great way to eat lots of veggies but still make a fulfilling scrumptious meal, that is even husband approved.
To make this meal simple, look for pre-cooked beets at the store and then prepare the other ingredients and place them in glass storage containers. That way all you have to do when you want to eat is toss and serve. Keep all the fun, flavorful toppings in glass containers in the refrigerator so you can add to lettuce and top with chicken for a simply dinner or lunch!
What are your favorite fall flavors?
Harvest Cobb Chicken Salad
- 3-4 chicken breasts + salt, pepper
- 2 cups cooked beets, cubed
- 4-6 figs, sliced in quarters
- 4 soft boiled eggs, sliced in half
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 8 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- baby lettuce leaves + arugula
Cinnamon Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- fresh cracked black pepper
- Warm your grill to medium-high heat.
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the vinaigrette until thoroughly combined.
- Lightly sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of the chicken, then drizzle 2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette and mix to evenly coat the chicken.
- Grill the chicken for 5-6 minutes per side or until completely cooked through, depending on the thickness of your chicken.
- Set aside to cool slightly as you prepare the salad.
- In a large bowl, add all the salad ingredients. Toss with an appropriate amount of dressing.
- Slice the chicken and serve atop the tossed salad.
- Store any remaining dressing in the refrigerator to use at a later time.
- Paleo Salted Maple Blondies - August 9, 2022
- Paleo Indian Chicken Curry - April 13, 2022
- Paleo Vanilla Bean, Berry Cheesecake Bites - April 13, 2022